Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Face Full of Feet and Fun Facts (Part Deux)

As I promised, I have a few more fun facts I learned over this past week.

~ The femur is the heaviest, longest, and strongest bone in the human body.

~ The ilium, pubis, and ischium (which make up the pelvis girdle) are 3 bones that fuse together (but are still able to expand during childbirth).  The only other bone in the human body that fused together is the cranium (skull).

~There are 26 bones in each foot.

~The fibula only bears 10% of the body's weight while the tibia bears the rest.

~The fibula is the thinnest bone in the body in proportion to it's length.

Terribly interesting, I know.  But it's something to throw out there at a dinner party, sound like you know what you are talking about.

I've had a couple interesting experiences concerning my feet this week.  Normally, I do not have a problem with personal space.  I love hugging hello and goodbye.  I'm never awkward standing really close to someone else's face (you always see actors in blooper reels who have gotten too close start to go in for the kiss).  What I'm trying to say is I like being close to people and I don't have a problem with someone else touching me (that sounded really bad :) )  Well, I now have a problem with people touching me.  Specifically, my feet.

Granted, I have always had a slight problem with people touching my feet.  I'm ticklish enough that if you chose to come in contact with my little piggies in anyway, you will most likely get a face full of foot.  But now I have a whole new level of fear.  Is there a phobia for fear of someone touching your feet?  I should find out.  Anyway, I discovered this during class last Thursday.  We were discussing the bones of the feet (tarsals, metatarsals and phalanges).  The instructer said you can feel most of your tarsals (ankle) and metatarsals (foot bones) easily.  So I proceeded to take my foot out of my shoe and start prodding and poking my foot.  This was all well and good (yes, I could feel the bones!) until IT happened.

I couldn't stop it.  It all happened too fast.  I felt so dirty after.

Okay, maybe not that dramatic.  But it was still something something.  As I sat there, feeling my foot, my table-mate (the woman sitting next to me) shot her hand out and gave my foot a good squeeze.  Right on the ankle.  Without asking.

You would think someone had shot me from how loudly I squeaked/squawked/screamed/laughed.  You would also think someone had shot my teacher from how high she jumped.  And with good reason.

My other foot experience was not nearly as traumatizing, but still note-worthy.  Today we learned how to Swedish Massage the leg and foot.  Needless to say, I was quite worried about having my feet touched, let alone rubbed.  The entire class had heard my screams of laughter during the dreaded upper arm massage (and the foot grab), so everyone knew I was... well, touchy.  And to make matters all that much better, our class is odd, so we were the "three-some" for the day.  Therefore, while I was on the table, TWO people would be working on me (1 per foot!!!!!!)  Yes, I know... GET TO THE STORY!  So as my feet were getting worked, it happened.  BTW, we discovered that as long as you push REALLY deeply, it doesn't tickle.  Here's a corny '90s shout-out: THANKS MELANIE!  Yay.  Yes.  So.  It happened.  My partner was thumb stripping my arch when it cramped.  Ouch.

If anyone has ever had a charlie horse or a foot cramp, you know what I'm talking about.  For those who have not, you lucky bastards.  Essentially, every muscle in the area tightens to the point of major pain, your foot curls into itself (toes and all) and no matter how much you try, you cannot get it to relax.  All you want to do is beat it with your fists to make it stop.

So I did the first thing I could: I pulled my foot away the student.  I kinda forgot that when you lift your leg while laying on the massage table, you really expose your butt.  The young lady was kind enough to quickly pull the sheet over me.  Here's another corny '90s shout-out: THANKS CINDY!  A major plus was between my thrashing (while muttering of "ow, ow, ow, ow") and the student suddenly grabbing the sheet, the professor came over quickly to see what happened.  She grabbed my foot, put it onto the table and compressed it HARD.  The cramp went away after maybe 10 seconds of her holding it, which was... well... awesome.  Cause I was about to sit straight up to grab the damned foot myself, which would have given the class a great view of my ladies.  While I wouldn't have had a problem with that (being a nude model kinda gets you used to being undressed in front of strangers), I'm fairly certain they would not have appreciated it.

And my final corny '90s shout out...: THANKS KRISTEN!  Okay, never again with the shout outs... a simple thank you will do.

That's all for now.  I have my first two exams this week (Wednesday and Thursday), so I'll let you know how it goes!  And tomorrow we attack the abs... yay for flabby midsection of me!!!  Cheers.  And stay limber, people!

No comments: