Thursday, October 15, 2009

To Make an Omlette, You Gotta Crack a Few Necks

Due to the late hour, I'm going to keep this post short.

As for a bodily update, I am now able to do a Swedish Massage to the Head, Face, Neck, Arms, and Hands.  Half the body down, half to go!  Next week we hit legs and feet.

It's been pretty awesome, with a few moments here and there I would prefer to forget.  One of those was working on the neck of my partner and as I did a move called "the wave" (curling your fingers under the neck, hooking the fingertips into the base of skull and pull), something popped in her neck.  While she said it felt great, all I felt was my stomach roll.  There is something surprisingly off-putting about cracking someone's neck when you are trying your damnedest to just give a good massage and be extra careful.  (Can you imagine getting kicked out of massage therapy school for paralyzing a fellow student?  Eek!)

Another moment was discovering yesterday that being ticklish doesn't go away when getting massaged.  My biceps (at least the part where the bicep becomes the armpit) are hereby a no-touch zone, a fact the entire class learned when my shrieks almost shattered the windows.

Also, my 1st exam is next week.  Along with my 2nd exam.  Anatomy, Physiology, and Pathology are on the menu and I am seriously surprised by how easy it is to fall back into the pattern of studying.  I could say it's all because of the way I learned to study in high school.  If The Peddie School (it will always have the "The" to me, don't tell me it is just called Peddie School now!!!) taught me anything, it definitely helped me learn how to study well and how to prioritize.  I realize part of that is because I am young (in comparison to some of the 45 year-old house wives in my class) and my brain is still able to absorb information.  And part of it is because the stuff we are learning is only the 1st layer of what we will eventually need to know.   I don't need to know the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th layers to understand the 1st yet.  Example: We have to know that the Nervous System is a bodily system.  We do not need to know the parts of a nerve and how it works... yet.  Knowing that I will learn it in the future is enough for me.

And that's enough of me tonight.  Sleep well and stay limber!

No comments: